Monday, March 2, 2015

Johnny Carson



I was having lunch at Schatzi On Main Street in Santa Monica, CA sometime around 2000. It is closed now but was a culinary venture by Arnold Schwartzenegger at the time. I never saw Arnold in there but on the day I was having lunch in strolled Johnny Carson.  My reaction was that it was like seeing your father unexpectedly in a place you never imagined he would ever frequent. But there he was, tan, casually dress, smiling. "Here's Johnny", of course, is the next reaction. He was a man I grew up with and paid a lot of attention to, very much like a father. But a funny father. Someone you could always count on for kidding around. And there he was and then he was gone, into some private dining room to have lunch with Arnold or somebody funnier.

No comments:

Post a Comment